Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sleep

I remember a time when I could go to bed at 2 a.m. and be awake by 5 a.m. I would go through the entire day full of energy and could and would oftentimes do the very same thing the next night. That is not the case anymore. I love sleep. If I go to sleep by 10 p.m., I find myself still struggling to get up at 6 a.m. I try to take a nap whenever I can also. There is something about the experience of shutting down or turning myself completely off, even if only for a few minutes. It always seems as if  I wake up rejuvenated and ready to tackle whatever may be ahead. I remember being in kindergarten and after lunch each day we were made to take a nap. I think that should still apply even in the workforce. I remember an old employer who would take a nap each day for about 30 minutes. He said it increased his productivity. Of course I thought, well why don't you allow your employees to do the same thing. Of course again I didn't say anything. A lot of the medication I have taken in the past and some that I take now have drowsiness as a side effect. I hear many people complain about it, but I take whatever I am supposed to and deal with the side effects. It took a minute to get here I must say.  There could be side effects that are much worse than drowsiness in my book. I remember being a little girl and my mom crying one night because her Tizanidine made her sleepy and she didn't want to go to sleep as she had done many times previously. She tried to fight it, but found herself nodding off. This is what caused her the tears. She wanted to spend time with the rest of us, but just couldn't stay up. Of  course, she eventually had her doctor put her on something else. For me, my family knows already that when it's time to take certain medication, it won't be long before I make the trip down the hall. I love sleep and be it medically or naturally induced, bring it on. I went out and some time ago and made purchases to make my bedroom and place of enjoyment for me. I got new pillows, a couple of really nice comforter sets (with the nice sheets) some aromatherapy and nice curtains. When I enter my bedroom now no matter how hard I try sleep is unavoidable, but I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. I wish I could take a nap right now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment