Thursday, May 5, 2011


In just under a month a whole lot has happened. We've endured losing an aunt and an uncle. My aunt was on my mother's side and my uncle was on my father's side. Both funerals brought me around some family members I hadn't seen in years. I even was able to meet some new family members that I didn't even know existed as some of my cousins had children that I didn't even know about. Although the loss of both my uncle and aunt were hard, I took the time to really sit back and breathe family. It seems as if every time I go home to my hometown, I never get to enjoy the moment. I am always running from here to there. When my uncle died, I was only able to spend a little time with my family on my dad's side and I think that was by choice because I was grieving the loss of my uncle, but also the loss of my uncle's brother (my dad). His death brought back so many memories. I didn't want to stick around for that very much. I went to the funeral, spoke to a few friends and sped back to the city which allowed me to hide in the midst of it all.

My aunt's passing gave me an opportunity for something oh so different. It allowed me to wrap my arms around loved ones, laugh about old memories and be present amongst them. I even ate dinner with two of my favorite aunts. My aunt Olitha provided some of the best hash and white bread (I hadn't had homemade hash in a couple of years) and my aunt Gwen cooked a feast in a little under two hours which included dressing, macaroni pie and a host of other southern cooked wonders. Food is one expression of my joy!

My health has sustained me for the last month. I must admit that when I came back this week from my long weekend with family, I was a little drained. I was on the go and good bit. My aunt's funeral was Tuesday and we came back home on Monday night. I woke up on Tuesday morning, went to the bathroom to wash my face and start my typical morning routine and decided against going to work. I was truly tired. I slept for most of the day on Tuesday and am back at work raring to go. I have started the partial seizures again. I am just taking the Trileptal that the doctor told me to come down off of earlier in the year. The medicine works wonders as it seems to have stopped the seizures. I am just exhausted after they leave. I am truly thankful that they aren't more severe. I am in a good place mentally! I am thankful. I am still a little tired and still have a lot to do, but what gets done gets done and what doesn't doesn't. Hope everyone who reads this has a great day as well as those who don't!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment